Sunday, October 23, 2011

Online dating follies

Why wasn't I paying attention
in chemistry class?

So to catch you up ~ I had hired a dating coach, Marni,  who turned out to be more of my life coach at the beginning - we got my life in motion, launched a new business, left my time-consuming, life-sucking job, starting doing more things I enjoyed, caught up with friends...I got to a really happy place.


Time to tackle the dating arena now! Online she sent me.
I was a lil hesitant about it, based on past experiences, and also the fact that I feel its just a weird way to meet a potential mate (cuz of course, I'm still stuck on the "swelling music in the background as your eyes lock for the 1st time in a random meeting at the coffee shop" hoopla)


First round ~ match.com ~ 3 month subscription, bring it, I'm ready!
I come out "winking" like a mad woman at any somewhat decent profile.
No responses...okay, that's alright...
A friend tells me I should just LOOK at their profile, so they see I checked them out & then let them be the 1st to make the move, you know you don't wanna come on TOO strong & emasculate them...blah, blah, blah...
Hmmmmm...was beginning to think I'm checking out all the fake profiles posted to entice quality women in...
I start taking it personally - NEVER DO THAT! (but its kinda hard not to)


So, I'm telling Marni about my non-progress & she suggests okcupid.com. She's got clients having success there & its FREE! Sign me up!
I give her a look at my profile, eh I kinda passed. She gave me a "B", but I'm an "A+ overachiever" kinda gal, so we tweaked away until we got to a profile that was a shining me (it helps to have an outsider's perspective of you, just sayin)
Then I got schooled in the "you don't just wink!" (then why is it there??), you send them a quick lil message commenting on something you've read in their profile  - these are the obvious reasons why I need a dating coach!


Second round ~ okcupid.com ~ First I gotta say, ladies there are some QUALITY men WITH jobs on this site - check it out!
I was a message fool! Once I was shown the way, I was out of control, chatting up all sorts of types of guys - I was actually having fun!
Then...I get this really funny, interesting message in my inbox from someone I hadn't approached...he was handsome, witty, had a job, was TALL (hard to find these days in L.A.). I was definitely intrigued.
The only thing holding me back was that he had kids, I wasn't sure where my maternal instincts lied, but that could bring a dimension I wasn't sure I was ready for, I mean, ex's & all...eh
But of all the conversations I was having, the ones with him were the most interesting.
Ok, talked myself into it, meeting up for 1 drink couldn't hurt ~ it'll just be a fun evening out =)


Our FIRST date was set - 6pm(????) on a Thursday @ The Griffin... 







No comments:

Post a Comment